Role:Lead Designer / Full-stack Developer / Project Manager
Project Duration:3 months
Goals:Set a strong thematic quality for Al Jazeera's products while ensuring brand and code consistency. The Design Language System aims to establish a common language, make testing easier, save time and effort, and create a useful reference for the teams. Most importantly, the design language system will create a future-friendly foundation for our network to modify, extend, and evolve over time.
- Project Management
- Gathering requirements
- UI / UX design
- Full-Stack WordPress development
- Custom post types development
- Custom plugins development
- Improved consistency and clarity between design and development teams
- Single source of truth for all branding needs
- Fully customizable digital asset management system
- Boosted digital productivity for faster project rollouts
- Reduced cost and dependency on external resources
- Consistent brand and user experience for company sites
- Improved UX collaboration and review process
- Defined quality target and standards
BackgroundAl Jazeera has a large number of properties in its ever-expanding network and is already managing a large ecosystem of mobile touchpoints. In modern connected services, a key success factor is the ability to connect the dots of the experience across multiple touchpoints, contexts, and users and to maintain a cohesive user experience that spans through screen sizes and contexts of use.When individual touchpoints are designed, developed and governed by disparate internal and external teams and partners, achieving a consistent, integrated and well-orchestrated experience becomes challenging.The purpose of creating the Design Language System was to ensure a consistent brand and user experience across the current and future digital ecosystem.
WireframesDuring the Content Strategy and Site Mapping phase, I interviewed designers, product managers, and engineers to gather their thoughts and feedback. I considered their productivity pain points while iterating on the wireframes. My goal was to build a centralized design foundation for a consistent brand within their online presence and digital products.